I am 25 Years Old Today

Last night I sat around the table with my family and ate a home-cooked meal. My parents, my uncle and gran, and myself. All of them have been in my life since day 1.


Today I turn 25. Thinking back to last night and that short moment I spent surrounded by those dearest to me, reminds me how lucky and loved I am.  Although not all my family was there, some no longer with us, others at work or overseas, I felt completely content. A feeling of joy that waters my heart to know that they've been with me since the very beginning. For all those years they've remained constant pillars in my journey through this life, acting as my mentors, my protectors, my supporters, and comforters. 

You don't choose your family. You are born into a tribe that determines your early attitudes and understandings of the world. For the most part, your parents love you. Bonded, by blood, the link is unconditional, and they commit to making sure you are cared for and grow up properly, to their best of their ability. 

As I sat there last night, posing for a photo with my parents and gran behind me, I battled to contain the tears of joy knowing how fortunate I am to have them in my life. Such a small event, to somebody else just a couple family members gathered together. Just a random day, one of many to others, possibly insignificant and forgettable. But in that moment, as I smiled knowing they were grouped around me, it was worth the world and more. A burning sensation in my heart, knowing that this is something of meaning, something everlasting.

I could not have asked for anything more than them. They have truly succeeded in ensuring my upbringing was as impactful and pleasant as possible.

I know that my beliefs, blood, and being were born out of them. They have molded me into who I am. Each family member a pivotal link that completes me. And that no matter where I am, or where they are, they are always in me.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts