A Childhood, Wild as it Should.

Looking back to my early days as a boy, I am grateful most particularly to a single occasion whereby my mother took me down to the local boy scout group. I was barely six years old and had no idea what or where we might be going. I don't recall her asking or informing me about such a decision, but nonetheless, I found myself staring at a circle of boys dressed up in peculiar outfits inside a hall.

Boy Scouts


Had one known me prior to that night, I doubt you would have classified me as an adventurous or thrifty child. My typical routine was a combination of playing with action figures, toy cars or annoying my younger sister. I don't think I ventured too far from the house; the garden was mainly for kicking ball or playing cricket.

The hall was face-brick and had a low fence around it. There were several trees dotted around the front, with a big sign stating "1st Table View Boy Scouts" and the meeting times.

What prompted my mother to make this decision of enrolling me in this youth organization? Was it a newspaper banner? Could it be that her two brothers had been boy scouts? I know my father hadn't been one. Anyways, here I was face to face with a dozen other boys my age, running around in their uniforms.

An elderly gentleman, himself in this uniform, greeted us and extended his hand to show us the contents of the room. The two long sides of the hall were lined with a sequence of benches and wooden cupboards. On top of these were stacks of poles and staves. The back of the hall had a large wood plank divide, with a flagpole in the centre. The floor was a dusty, green cement and the windows were high up in a single strip along the walls.

The scoutmaster, Mole, as he came to be known as, was at this time the only person in charge of both the junior and senior groups of boy scouts. He was very invested in this group and had been one of the founding members and assisted in building this venue ( I think? ).

The following week, it was decided that myself and a friend, Daniel, were to attend our first pack meeting (pack, referring to the younger scouts called cubs).

The Boy Scout
Scouting for Boys - BP
That moment changed my life forever. The scouts played an instrumental role in molding me into the person I am today. It shaped my morals and values and defined the characteristics and rules that I live by.

The scout motto, "be prepared", is simple, yet striking. These two words I have upheld and applied to almost everything I do. Preparing yourself for any possible occurrences or unexpected events allows you to effectively negate or evade a possibly disastrous outcome or effect.

Now, being prepared does not always pertain to external, or overly-unlikely events, such as an alien evasion, but rather about practicing mindfulness and being able to respond in the moment. A good example of preparedness is being able to deliver a presentation successfully despite the slideshow/powerpoint failing. Or if you see a hazard in the street, know how to avoid it or report it.

There is no excuse not to be prepared.


I have so many great memories during my time as a boy scout; from singing songs around a campfire, rowing a boat across a lake, to hiking for several days across a mountain range. These experiences add a level of value and enlightenment many boys or even grown men never get to encounter. Skills such as first aid, sailing, knotting, map-reading, pitching a tent, identifying flora and fauna and so much more. It's something I'd recommend every young boy be part of. The lessons and values I still carry with me today spur from my participation as a boy scout in my early childhood. Today, I see a population very much out of sync with basic survival and decision-making abilities. I fear, when a situation arises, many will be ill-prepared or unable to assist. Be it a medical emergency or a break down, the lack of leadership or know how, prior to professionals arriving, may be the deciding factor to whether the casualties or condition persevere.

Be prepared.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts